Tuesday, December 4, 2012

AT Project


Assistive technology is a subject that is near and dear to my heart.  I am a dual major; therefore I will be teaching Elementary and Special Education.  In many special education situations, children need to be provided with assistive technology.  Technology is such a big part of today’s society, it is not easily accessible for all students.  I learned so much from this one activity.  There are so many things that are free and readily available on your home computer that can benefit a person with disabilities.  As a teacher, it is important to be up to date and knowledgeable of things such as hearing and vision features on a computer.  I have to be honest and say that if it were not for this specific activity I would not be as familiar with some of the challenges that can be easily over come using technology. 
            We used aids that varied from enlarging text on the screen, to making your keyboard beep when typing.  It is amazing just what technology can do. I believe that this lesson is more for adults and for children with disabilities rather than your entire classroom.  It is important though to have these aids readily available for any student in need. The NET Standard it applies to is the model digital age work and learning.  Teachers can model this to students with disabilities in order to support them and their use of technology. 
            This project would be extremely helpful in any class that is training students to become future educators.
            To view my Assistive Technology PowerPoint please click the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment